Saturday, April 16, 2016

Snapshot of an uneasy city

Photograph of the Grand Serail, one of hundreds on Google Images. But by all means, pick on me.
I was detained by the police for about 45 minutes Friday for taking pictures near the Parliament building. They politely went through my bag, camera and phone contacts. The reason it took so long is because I wasn’t carrying any ID — I hate the idea of toting my passport around in case I lose it or it gets snatched. Better to spend some time practicing my French with the gendarmes than spending god knows how long getting a replacement at the embassy outside town. Anyway, that was my thinking; it hasn’t changed.

"We are sorry," said one officer, handing me back my stuff. No harm, gents! Walking toward Hamra, I checked out my camera. About 8 photos had been deleted, mostly of the Achrafieh skyline about 2 miles away.

3 comments:

  1. Holy moly. Sounds like you handled it like a champ. It's not a good vacay unless you get detained by the cops for a bit, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have phone contacts? You have a phone?

    ReplyDelete